Friday, November 30, 2012

Good Days and Bad Days

It's hard to remember the good walks when Maggie is having a huge reaction to the third dog in one walk.

However, on days when I'm being a good leader and she's being a good follower, it's incredibly joyous. It feels like we could walk for miles together, though I'm sure she could out walk me.

Every time she comes back from doggie day care, we notice she is first really difficult around other dogs but then somehow remembers that she can't have playtime on leash.

Then, it's like the magical walking fairy has graced our presence and we have a happy, calm walk together.

Inevitably, she sees her nemesis and all is lost. Stay tuned for more details on Maggie's nemesis.

Happy walking!! Where does your dog walk? Behind you? Beside you?

5 comments:

  1. I always took for granted that dogs just walk. Even when I adopted Miss M, she would just meander allover, often tying me up with the leash. That took a long time to work out, though I know how stressful leash reactivity can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really frustrating because sometimes, she doesn't react at all!! Then other times, she's a maniac. Someone actually crossed the street with their stroller and kids yesterday because she looked so crazy. I feel so bad when it happens because we want her to be the best pittie ambassador...we're working it! Small steps! (Medgar's story was really encouraging to us. Yes, I have totally stalked your whole blog. :-) )

      Delete
  2. Athena started off as a perfect walker...then she turned into a puller....then I trained her with the clicker and she was back to a perfect walker....then she turned into a puller again. Right now she's in a pulling stage and I've pulled the clicker back out again. So, Athena mostly walks in front of me as much as I try to get her to walk beside me. However, there's always a sweet spot about halfway through our walks when Athena turns into a perfect walked and will walk right beside me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet spot is the BEST!!! It sounds like the clicker works wonders for her which is awesome. Nigel is learning quickly but he's a bit of a wanderer, moving from side to side behind me. He's so different than Maggie, he would sniff the ground outside all day! Maggie, however, couldn't care less and would rather people watch.

      Delete
  3. My first 'adult' dog was the epitome of the perfect off leash healer. That kind of spoiled me and when we adopted Ray, the shark mouthed jumping fang who played tug of war with his leash, I usually ended walks crying or bleeding. He is now at 13 months old a pretty good leash walker. He still walks a little ahead but can do a mean loose leash,too.

    ReplyDelete