Friday, January 25, 2013

The Strangest Vet Visit Yet

Last week, Nigel went into our awesome vet's office for what I'm now considering the strangest vet visit that we will (hopefully) have for a long time.



We adopted Nigel from my mom who was fostering him.  He didn't come with paperwork about being neutered though he definitely looks the part, if you catch my drift (he's missing some things down below).  In Los Angeles, you must present paperwork that your dog has had a rabies shot and is neutered or spayed before being able to license them with the county.  Every pet owner is supposed to license their pets each year (though I doubt that actually happens).
I'm a pretty mellow dude, I betcha I'm actually neutered.
When asked, our vet told us that she couldn't officially give Nigel a certificate of being neutered because there is a slight chance that he could have undescended testicles and actually NOT be neutered.  Of course, there's a blood test that can be done but it's a big ticket item (over $250!) to find out.

Our options were to take Mr. Nigelpants to another vet who would only charge us for a vet visit and then say he was neutered or to get the test done.  At first, we definitely were going to just find a vet to say he was good to go.  Then we got to thinking and were a little nervous about the whole ordeal because WHAT IF he actually wasn't neutered and we keep saying he is?!  The last thing we would ever want to do is help overpopulate Los Angeles with more pitties (though his puppies would be ADORABLE probably).

We decided to pony up and pay for the blood test.  We want to be absolutely positive that he is, in fact, neutered and not wonder about it for his whole life.  On Wednesday, we got the good news.  Nigel is indeed neutered and we can go ahead and get him licensed now.

Anyone else have weird vet stories!?

5 comments:

  1. How weird and annoying! My pets all have a spay/neuter tattoo which just looks like a green pen mark. I don't have a weird vet story but there is a woman who always posts on my local Craigslist looked for an un-neutered male dog because she wants to get him fixed in a way that he would still have his balls because that is the nature intends him to look. Needless to say, she always gets flagged and removed. Now she adds don't flag me, I just want a dog in his beautiful natural form. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.my.gross.
      What an absurd request! Dog in their beautiful natural form? That just sounds weird and creepy.

      Delete
  2. I would be so irritated! I guess I see the logic, but what the hell, that's a lot of money to pay for a test!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that is strange! Tess has the green tattoo on her spay scar. Ed was intact when we got him and we have the certificate to prove it. BUt it's a good reminder to keep that paperwork available!! I'm glad Nigel is amongst the neutered population!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? So weird. We didn't see anything on his belly but let's be honest, it was pretty easy to tell. We're happy that we can really register him now so he can be a legal LA citizen.

      Delete