Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pooches: Sleepy Time Rituals

Sorry about the lack of posting...we had a car accident in the family (everyone is fine, thank goodness!) but that meant that all extra Internet time was spent searching for cars.  We're still deciding on a new or new to us car to look for this weekend.  Suggestions (especially ones that are hybrids AND good with pooches) welcome!

We have had a break through!  The pooches are no longer crated at night which makes us very happy since they are in their crates for a good chunk of time four days each week.

We were crating them at night for the last two and a half months because they were still getting used to one another and they were very pushy at night when left out of their crates.  They also liked to flop around, scratch their ears very noisily and disrupt our sleep in general.
Nigel actually prefers beds on beds.
In only took about a week and a half but we have taught them to sleep on our bedroom floor in their own poochy beds.

We used tie downs (and collars that didn't have tags on them to help the pooches not jingle all night) to get them used to their own space on the floor.  Maggie is pretty smart and got the idea very quickly.  She started sleeping in her bed right next to our bed almost immediately.  Nigel took a little extra time to get the hang of sleeping on the floor in his bed and NOT in our bed.  He seems to favor our bed quite a bit (I can't blame him, we're cuddly).  I'm pretty sure we said "Go to bed" about sixty times in the last week and a half, sometimes at 3:30am, but it finally worked.

He seems to be only very mildly attached to his bed but really not that into it.  I wonder if maybe he would like a nice one with fluffy sides like Maggie has.  His bed is more flat.

Where do your pooches sleep?  Did it take a while to teach them to sleep there?

9 comments:

  1. I know my dogs prefer beds with bumpers or sides to ones that are flat. My dogs get a choice of sleeping with me on my bed, on the floor in their beds, or in their crates. Koira sometimes also likes to sleep in my computer chair, which is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Nigel may also prefer a bed with sides. Maggie has taken a liking to hopping up on our computer chairs, which swivel, so she jumps on and then gives me funny looks as she spins around. :-)

      Delete
  2. The dogs really aren't supposed to get into the bed at night (they are allowed up, but there just isn't enough room for sleeping), but they often do - so we just kick them out. I use Euro-sized pillows for their dog beds and they seem to like them just fine. Every once in awhile one of them will go into the crate in the bedroom (not often though, because they are in their crates all day), but their most favorite spot is in my reading chair--especially if a certain human has left his clothes on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been searching for some good big pillows but haven't found any lately. We're so happy they don't need to be in their crates more than during the day now!! I love that they sleep on the chair especially when clothes are on it!

      Delete
  3. I have been seriously debating teaching my boys to sleep on their beds on the floor in our room.. but I havent actually done it yet for a couple of reasons. One, our room is so small the tethering method would be really hard.. and two, I would feel so bad! They've slept with/on/next to us for 2 years.. and I think they really like the closeness. I'm sure I'm overreacting but I'd feel so mean! However, it is VERY tight with four of us in bed. Such a dilema!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we got Nigel, we just didn't have enough room for both pooches in our bed (Nigel takes up as much space as 3 people!). I absolutely hated kicking Maggie out of the bed but ultimately, we sleep so much better without them in the bed. I think Maggie used to like cuddling a lot too but now we just really make up for it with cuddling on the couch. :-) I think it's harder on me to not sleep with them on the bed than for them! Ultimately, I feel like it's better for our dog's independence to not be with us all the time. But we live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and spend a lot of time on top of each other (literally...well, them on us) while we're home just chilling.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the car situation.... I've got a Honda Accord which works OK for the dogs but I've really got my eye on a Subaru!

    That's awesome that you've got the dogs sleeping beside you on the floor now, I should really try the same thing with Boomer and Dottie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...everything will work out, we're actually going to go test drive some Subarus tomorrow! It was really nice to make the transition to floor sleeping. I felt so guilty about leaving them in their crates during the day and then again at night. As soon as we're able to, we're going to start training them to be out in the apartment together also. We just don't think they're ready quite yet for that...

      Delete
  5. We've never crated our own pups at night. While they got used to each other for a few days me and Braylon slept in the spare room. The pups sleep in bed with us or in their own beds in the room. Madden has her own bedroom at night and for like a week she was peeing in her bedroom so she was crated at night for awhile. Then I gave her freedom again and she hasn't had an accident in her room since.
    Did you find a car? When I totaled my car recently I simply got what I could get approved for--which ended up being an '08 PT Cruiser. Not my top choice at all, but it's great for the pups! I love popping open the back and they hop right in. We drive with the back seats down all the time. Braylon keeps post on the seat and Hades likes to relax in the back area.

    ReplyDelete