Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pocket Pittie...ON THE MOVE!!

Well, we have been really quite busy the last few weeks.  Between finals, trying to eat healthy and play with the pups, and finding a new place to live, we have just been bogged down.

But we DID find a new place to live!!  And the absolute best part about it is that it has a YARD!!! It's a small yard (we live in LA, after all!) but it's big enough for the pooches and us to hang outside and have barbecues.  There's even a doggie door!!  (Can you tell I'm excited!??!  Look at all those exclamation points!!!!!!)

As long as you bring our food to the new place, I'll stop snacking on Maggie's tush.
Move!?  Nah, I'm comfy here, thanks.
So, now I"m on the prowl for tips about moving with doggies.  So far, here is what I have gleaned from the Internet so far.

Some advice from Love and a Six Foot Leash moving pros:
Make an "open me first" box for your dog.
We're going to create a box of doggie essentials that we know Maggie and Nigel will need right away in the new place.  This will include their bowls, leashes, crate stuff, documentation all in one place, some treats, antlers, any medicine they may need soon after moving and Kongs.  We're going to pick the place for their crates as soon as we can so that they are all set up when they get to their new home!

Give your pooch a vacation!
We love this piece of advice and are DEFINITELY going to bring the pooches to daycare for at least the big moving truck day.  We may end up bringing them for the night before when we are going to (inevitably) be finishing packing everything up.  We're hoping this will reduce any stress they have about seeing everything moved and random people coming in and out of the house.  Let's be honest, they are still learning manners when guests come so it would be a bit of a crazy house if they kept greeting everyone.

One nugget of advice from a NY Daily News Article
Keep the windows open!
They're going to be painting and tidying up in our new place before we move in so there are going to be lots of lingering fumes and icky smells at first.  Keeping the windows open for a day or two will help air some of that out so the doggies don't get ill from the stinkiness.


Do you have other awesome advice for us while we get packed up and moved into the new place!?

6 comments:

  1. Good luck!! When is the big move?! So lucky to have found a yard!!! Let us know how it goes!

    I moved into my current house on a Saturday and spent all Sunday unpacking and setting things up. When Monday came around, I had to go to work. I tried to get Tess to go in her crate, but she wouldn't (I had just gotten her finally comfortable with it, so I didn't want to force her). So I put her in the empty spare room - there was nothing in there, so she couldn't do anything...or could she?

    When I got home, there was a pitbull-sized hole in. the. door. She had chewed & clawed her way out.

    If I were to do it again, I'd have taken Monday off or worked from home and hung out with her to make sure she was comfortable. She'd have spent alot of time in her crate in its new location with me hanging out, letting her our frequently and putting her back in.

    She still doesn't do well even in her crate in a new location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is crazy!!! This is such great advice though to be around for the first few days and luckily, I'm off of school and will be home the entire week after we make the move. I'm hoping that will help! Maggie is just excited to go in her crate now because she knows it means Kong and peanut butter but we had a terrible time with her too. Nigel is still a big whiney pants when we leave but I think maybe he's getting better? It's hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even a doggie door? That's awesome! And, I agree with all of these tips especially the part about making sure your pups are comfortable in their new environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been crazy busy house-hunting and moving lately too! We finally found a house and moved all my stuff into storage last week since we're spending a month at my parents' house til we move in. Norman was totally freaked out by the boxes and again when we moved everything out. In hindsight, I should have had someone watch him for the day. Though Kaya didn't care and was just curious. I expect moving in will be easier as they both acclimate to new places easily and there's a yard for Norman to hang in while we're moving stuff in. I'm jealous that you have a dog door! I think I'm going to have to put one in:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited...we just started packing tonight (eek!) and Nigel really didn't care but Maggie got a little freaked out. I'm hoping she'll get used to the boxes and tape (at one point she was walking around with the packing tape roll like it was a toy...glad she didn't cut herself on it!). It's such an ordeal!

      Delete
    2. Ha, what a silly girl! Norman's biggest deal was that he didn't like things moving around. Once they were in spot, he was totally fine. And then the next day when we were moving them again, he was freaked out all over again. I wrapped him in blankets on the bed, but then we had to move the bed out:/

      Delete