Friday, September 13, 2013

I'm Sorry...New Years Resolutions

New year?!  You must be thinking that I'm off by a few months.

Well, tonight marks the beginning of the end of the Jewish high holy days.  The Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, was just last week.  It's traditional to ask for forgiveness during the ten days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, which begins tonight.  One calls (or today texts and emails) friends and family and asks loved ones to forgive any sins or misdoings from the past year.  These ten days are a time to start over and work to do better in the coming year.

I started thinking, wouldn't it be nice if I could repent to our pups for the things that I have done and tell them that I will try to do better?  

Since they don't understand me, (or maybe they do, what a ruse!) I decided to write some apologies to the pooches and include some of our goals from here on out.

Dear Maggie and Nigel,

We are sorry that we haven't stuck with one training method in order to help us communicate better.
What'd you say?
We apologize for lounging too much and not always giving you the exercise you need or would like.
We know we're adorable but we LOVE to run!
We're sorry for sometimes being very impatient and even yelling when we lose our tempers.
Yell!?!  At this cute face?!?!
We apologize for buying all that camping gear and STILL not finding a time to take you adventuring.

We've also thought of some ways we're already trying to do better or will be working towards improving on these things this year.

We will try to be patient with you as much as possible and never yell about things that aren't life threatening.

We will work with you in one training method that will help us communicate better and become better companions to one another.

We will do our best to get walks in every day and find times to take you places that you can run around so you get exercise and enjoy the great outdoors.

We are planning weekends to take you on adventures and camping so we can explore together.

The best part about pooches is that they forgive us without us needing to apologize.  They give us so many second chances and times to make up for what we've done poorly in the past.  If I could talk to them in their own language, I would thank them for being so patient and allowing us to work on improving each and every day.  After almost one full year of being dog parents, we feel as though we have learned a lot and still have so far to go.  We're excited to fulfill these goals and help ourselves and the pooches have an even better second year together.

To a happy and healthy new year!!



4 comments:

  1. Happy new year! I can really relate. I lose my cool with Kaya all the time and I hate but she is so forgiving like most dogs:) We've added more training to our routine lately and I already feel better for it. I hope you find your balance:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you both. I feel so bad when I yell...well, afterwards, and I look at my big-head-boys and I know they love me and I'm glad they know I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... the yelling thing... I've done it... I'm guilty and I feel so bad when I do it. They don't understand why it's just my frustration. So I know I need to do better there. Maybe we need to adjust with some training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh... Yeah... I find myself yelling at Cooper to stop barking (ironic, right?) but then afterwards I always apologize and hug him. He just looks at me like I'm nuts. :) I don't think testing different training methods is a bad thing, as long as you end up with one that you're comfortable and confident with, then bring your dogs along! Luckily, they're adaptable and, like you said, forgiving!

    ReplyDelete